- More details coming soon -
Drake's Creek Watershed Festival
Bowling Green-Warren County
Partner: Kentucky Division of Water & Kentucky Waterways Alliance
Attendance: 200 | Ages served: 5 yrs old+
EKI crew members and American Canoe Association instructors Shara Sumner, David and Dennis Hudson, and Scott Workman coached new paddlers on various technique, paddle strokes, as well as identifying river features, hazards and river signals.
Over 50 individuals floated for free of charge in canoes and kayaks provided by Western Kentucky University's Outdoor Recreation Center.
Explore Kentucky in the role of as an affiliate club of the United States Canoe Association helped provide insurance coverage for the paddling portion of the festival.
- Participants received a passport that was stamped at every station for every activity they created. Once the participant had a full passport, they were eligible for various prizes such as life jackets, gift cards, and the grand prize, a recreational kayak.
Supporters & Sponsors
Riverthon: The Ohio River Challenge
Date: September, 15 2016
Ages served: 20 yrs old+
The Explore Kentucky Initiative served as sponsor for Louisville based nonprofit River City Paddlesports Inc.'s marque event, "Riverthon"; a series of paddlesports races that take place on the Ohio River in the Greater Louisville region in the distances of 7, 22, and 50 miles. EKI's sponsorship consisted of running a robust marketing, social media, public relations, and outreach campaign. Previous years had only attracted an average of 30 paddlers. EKI made it a goal to reach 100 paddlers for the 2016 and exceeded that goal.
Over $5K was garnered from registration fees.
The economic impact of Riverthon was over $15K to the Greater Louisville Area.
Paddlers came from over 10 states. The furthest racer traveled was from Dade City, Florida.
Former EKI Branding Director, Josh Patton using creative direction/photos from EKI's Director, Gerry James; designed a vibrant, engaging, and retro-inspired race poster that were distributed at over 100 locations across the country. Josh also designed a premium dri-fit tech shirt that all paddlers received.
In My Backyard: Red River Gorge
Stanton,KY - powell COUNTY
PARTNER: Powell County Public Library
Attendance: 200+ | Ages served: 4 yrs old +
- The festival featured Q & A sessions, interactive & informational booths, activities including a rock climbing wall, mini bike rodeo, healthy food samplings, and more.
- Authors John Snell and Carrie Stambaugh did book signings of their respective books; Red River Gorge: My Second Home & Falcon Guide's Hiking Kentucky.
- Participants earned tickets from each activity they completed they were used to win free raffle prizes including a kayak carrier from Red River Outdoors, Red River Gorge Zipline passes, a Sheltowee Hammock, Fly fishing set from Quest Outdoors, climbing passes from L'Escalade Fitness, guided climbing from Torrent Falls, and Alex Honnold’s Bestseller, “Alone on the Wall”.
- Over 200 individuals attended from all across Kentucky, the local community, surrounding counties, and states including Ohio and Indiana.
- EKI Crew Member Greg Davis, John Snell, and Gerry James conducted an outdoor photography workshop.
- EKI volunteers provided support for the festival, manned activities, set-up, and break-down.